Friday, February 6, 2009


It seems our economy really is in a bit of a pickle. My own retirement fund took quite a hit - which is disconcerting. Fortunately, I'm still a good 20 years away from retiring so I have some time to make up some loss.

I know big government is encouraging us to spend, but frankly I just can't bring myself to do so. My confidence in our federal government is shaken. I've begun my own saving plan and will share more about it in another post.

I have also begun to search my memory, as well as the internet, for money saving ideas.

During the winter months, I tend to store some extra pounds. I'm blessed to be small framed, but the older I get, the more my body stores extra fat. I don't get fat so to speak, but my jeans feel tighter. Along with trying to control what I eat, I thought maybe it time to hit the gym - until I saw the prices! My grandmother believed that performing household chores was a much better use of time than spending money on a gym. I think she could be right.

A google search yielded a chart that I find interesting: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_calories_burned_doing_house_work

So by this formula, I can burn off my lunch by shoveling snow for an hour. I guess cleaning horse stalls would yield similar results. I'm going to give this a whirl and see how I feel. We have plenty of snow to shovel and plenty of manure to muck!

Anyone else want to join me?

6 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Walking is supposed to be excellent exercise too. Good cardio workout. And a lot less stinker than shoveling poo:)

From what I have read, it's all in the way you walk. Getting the arms moving, breathing correctly, and getting your heart rate up to the right numbers. Although I like to say I get plenty of exercise working, I still seem to put on a little extra weight on the winter. I know where my downfall is though and that is drinking too many cokes. I switch to ice tea in the summer and then I do okay.

Lori1955 said...

Hmmm, going to the gym, or shoveling manure. It's a tough one but I think I'll stick to the gym. ;)

~Betsy said...

Chris: I rarely have time to walk, though I understand it's the best for cardio and such. I try to park in the back of the parking lot when I grocery shop, but this winter has been brutal. I've been fighting for the front spots since December! But thanks for the reminder!

Lori: I'm trying not to spend money on extras! Gym memberships are expensive around here and the times I have joined, I stopped going. There's a feeling of satisfaction when I get the stalls clean so in a sense, I'm killing two birds with one stone.

I wish I could eat what I like and never gain any weight. That would solve it all!

dave said...

Winter is the time to survive, store energy for the spring that is sure to come. Retirement, I realize does not give me enough exercise, so I am working on a system. Like you, the gym, which is only a few blocks away, is over budget, so I walk or bicycle, or hike, or take a nap!

dave

Nikki said...

I actually miss shoveling poo...except when Fanny burries her terds :-P

And I really miss the walking I did in college, I was always running around trying to make sure my meter was paid for and I would get to class on time.

rilera said...

I too can not bring myself to spend. I really don't need anything and I find it wasteful like you said.