Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Changes

Nearly a year has passed since my last entry. So many events have transpired in my life since then - the worst being an emergency appendectomy gone awry. A blood clot followed by an abscess and an allergic reaction to the pain meds led to weeks in the hospital. Oh, and I nearly forgot the collapsed lung. I felt my world was spiraling out of control and there was no way to stop it.

The best thing to come of all this was I managed to stop smoking. Lord knows I miss it (30 years of smoking is a long time), but it's for the best. I was fortunate to have good vital signs and strong lungs as a smoker, but frankly, I don't want to push my luck. October 23, 2009 was the last time I smoked - almost a year.

So, life has taken on a new normal for me. I have gained a few pounds since the surgery (coumadin, synthroid and smoking cessation have all contributed), but I am attempting to eat healthier and exercise. Daily exercise isn't a habit yet, but I'm working on it. And I'm snacking on baby carrots as I write this.

It's a start.

1 comment:

rilera said...

Oh my gosh Betsy. You've had a rough year. Glad you are back on the mend and kudos for quitting smoking.