Saturday, November 15, 2008

Could This Be Another Depression?

In 1929, the stock market crashed and all hell broke loose. My mom was 4-years-old then. I think of how my grandparents must have felt - an 8-year-old son and my mom to feed, clothe and protect. They must have been terrified.

When I look at the current financial situation we face in this country, I find myself a bit fearful. Certainly not as much as my mom and grandparents experienced in the 20's and 30's, but enough to make me begin to look at how my money is spent and ways to stretch my nickels further.

I'm filled with my own childhood memories of my mom managing to piece together meals out of whatever she had on hand. We never had a lot of money, but we got through somehow. I give full credit to both parents for this, but especially my mom. She was a creative genius when it came to ground beef!

3 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

We are indeed in another Depression. Our government just hasn't given us the official word yet. All the signs and symptoms are there though.

Not that long ago, I took going out to eat for granted. Now it is a luxury and one we can hardly afford by the time you figure in food, drinks and a tip. Everything has become a major decision as to where each penny will be spent and how much can we get for our spending dollar. I try to make things interesting by finding new recipes and trying new things with old standbys to get us through. My big thing now is marinading meats to get different flavors and varieties. Seems to work out okay thus far and keeps our bellys from rumbling.

Nikki said...

hey i didnt know you started another blog! :) Sounds great!

nancy said...

i remember gene telling me how when she and russ first got married, every friday night they got together with close friends, alternated houses, and tried a new dinner recipe with 1# ground beef. some of those recipes i still make today!