Saturday, November 22, 2008

Too Much Hype




On Halloween, I stopped at the local Wal-mart to pick up an extra bag of candy for my friend. I was spending the evening with her and she called my cell phone in a panic. She lives in a housing plan and was nearly out of candy within the first 30 minutes of trick or treating. I gladly obliged.

Perched above the Wal-mart candy display - the Halloween candy display - was a long line of fully decorated Christmas trees. Their only saving grace was that the lights weren't plugged in. I detected the faint sound of Christmas music playing on the PA system. It was quiet and subtle, but it was there just the same.

This past week, I went with Brian to our local mall to help him select a birthday gift for his girlfriend. In the center of the mall, there was a huge Christmas tree and little village of miniature north pole homes. Santa's train was running and there were about 30 kids on it. I figured it was just an early decoration; surely Santa hadn't arrived yet.

When we walked past the display again on our way out of the mall, sure enough there sat the big fella in his giant chair, ho-ho-ho-ing. He must have been on a break when we passed the first time. Mind you, this was on November 18th - a full 8 days before Thanksgiving.

Last night, the city of Pittsburgh held their annual light up night to kick off the holiday shopping season. It was much too cold for me to go, but I watched the highlights on the 11 O'clock news. There were dancing Santas, Christmas trees galore and carolers throughout.

When I was a girl, Halloween was Halloween and Santa never arrived anywhere before Thanksgiving. In fact, I vividly remember his big appearance was always scheduled for the day after Thanksgiving - affectionately known in the retail industry as "Black Friday".

We've heard people say it for years, "The holidays are much too commercialized." I hadn't though much of it in the past, but I truly believe it this year. I feel as if the economic indicators are a bit frightening for the retailers and they are responding with over-kill. The soft and subtle Christmas music in Wal-mart on Halloween was the last straw for me.

I realize the retailers hang their hat on their holiday sales figures, but I truly believe if they were smart, they wouldn't rush the season. And they would somehow try to incorporate the Reason for the Season into their holiday displays and advertising.

What ever happened to manger scenes and Hanukkah candles?

I long for the days when Thanksgiving was its own holiday; when people got together on a low-stress day, played flag football in the backyard and watched the pros on TV. I long for stuffing myself silly and falling asleep in front of the fire.

Bring back tradition! And please, please stop hyping the Christmas holiday before the first snowflake has fallen.

3 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Here Here Betsy! And I raise my glass to that one too!

By the time Christmas actually gets here, I am burnt out and I don't like that feeling. I try so hard to take each holiday as it comes even though I am force-fed by retailers. I love taking each holiday as it comes and not overlapping. It just doesn't jive with me.

I too remember when holidays were taken one by one and each was awaited with anticipation. Come to think of it, I recall seeing Halloween decorations in Marshall's in July and yes, I remember the Christmas music being played the day after Halloween at our Walmart store (I didn't go to Walmart Halloween night so they might have already begun the festivities then too). I respect the fact that retailers need to meet their financial mark but it's really getting out of hand. To the point of being a turnoff.

I could go on a rant with this but I won't. I just try to do what I can to preserve each holiday. I have specific times when I decorate and not a moment earlier and I chose not to get ahead of myself. I do however do my Christmas shopping throughout the year because of financial reasons. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I have a gift closet that when I see something on sale and I think it would make a nice gift, I pick it up and into the closet it goes. This has worked great for me and especially this year since I am laid off. When the time comes, I "shop" my gift closet and chose what things I want to give.

I really enjoy this blog, Betsy. I look forward to reading more:)

rilera said...

I can't imagine being a kid nowadays with Christmas being hyped at Halloween. It was hard enough as a kid to wait the 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Nikki said...

I think you're right...I know the screaming is much louder here in my busy walmart as Christmas grows near!