Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson


Michael Jackson and The Jackson 5 photos hung on the walls of my pale yellow bedroom when I was a girl. I eagerly awaited the new issue of Tiger Beat magazine and the free pull out posters. The Osmonds were my second favorite and I had their posters displayed, too.

When I was in college, Michael Jackson ventured out on his own. I had lost interest in pop music by this point, but I still enjoyed his music when I heard it on the radio. When Thriller hit the charts, I bought a copy. It's still around here somewhere - vinyl, of course. I had never seen anything like his music videos, which were more like a mini movie than a short video. His dancing was incredible. It was as if he were made of rubber bands with the way he could move and you could tell he felt every beat - every note - in his soul.

I didn't pay much attention to the trials and tribulations of MJ, but like most everyone else, heard about his lawsuits and strange life happenings. Everything with him became a circus act and I would often shake my head in disbelief. I don't know if he was truly guilty of what he was accused, nor do I really want to know. This is between he and God.

I choose to remember him as an incredibly gifted entertainer who had an uncanny ability to wow his audiences all over the world.

No doubt we haven't heard the last of Michael Jackson, his estate or his children. As was the case in life, his affairs in death remain a circus act. I have strong opinions on what I think should happen with his children, but I will also reserve those comments.

Today the world mourns the loss of a gifted entertainer. I pray the man can finally be at peace and for strength for his children to carry on. To the world he was a freak, but to those three children, he was their father.

Regardless of who you are, loosing your dad is a horrendous event.

Below is a link to one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs. The dialogue and angel, I think, is appropriate today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPWeu33s34&feature=related

3 comments:

rilera said...

Amen Betsy. I couldn't have said it better. I grew up listening to Motown and MJ and his brothers; I have pretty strong memories of their music too, like you. What he may or may not have done is between him and God, like you said.

Anonymous said...

I second Robyn's comment - I cried while watching the memorial today. I grew up with Michael Jackson's music too!

nancy said...

i think that even though michael had some majors issues, he was undeniably a gifted artist. i remember being fascinated as i watched him in his music videos, and especially the first time i saw him do the moonwalk. i only hope that his children won't be forever in the spotlight or caught in a potential custody battle.